Teeth Whitening, Is it Worth It? Learn the Benefits and Risks
Teeth whitening is a process in which whitening products that contain carbamide peroxide or hydrogen peroxide are used to break stains on teeth into tiny pieces. This process brightens the teeth. Before deciding to whiten your teeth, you should first consult your dentist since not all types of discoloration can be corrected. Whitening may not work on veneers, caps, fillings, or crowns.
Teeth discoloration can be caused by food and drink, age, medications, trauma, or tobacco use.
Reasons Why You Should Whiten Your Teeth
- Discolored teeth: This can be as a result of oral health issues, plaque, or tartar.
- Effects of aging: As you grow old, the tooth enamel may wear out, making it more likely for oral health issues or tooth discoloration to occur. A great way to maintain a healthy and beautiful smile is by whitening your teeth.
- Smoking effects: Smoking damages your teeth and leads to high risks contractions of oral health problems, for example, tooth discoloration or build-up of bacteria and plaque. A whitener can get rid of the discoloration.
- Job Interviews: A smile has a great effect on your job interview. The presence of a healthy, bright smile reveals confidence, enthusiasm, and energy.
- Special occasion: Whitening your teeth ensures that your smile is always bright for any upcoming special event such as a wedding, birthday, anniversary, or graduation.
- Diet Choices: Any diet that involves consumption of tea, coffee, or wine can cause staining of teeth that may last for years. Any professional teeth whitening near you can get rid of the stains and help you maintain your bright smile.
- Boost self-esteem: Having teeth with no discoloration makes you feel good about yourself, therefore, boosting your self-confidence
Benefits of Whitening Your Teeth
- It is easy and does not require needles – White teeth make you feel and look young since they are associated with youth and beauty and also because when we smile, we look younger and love our smiles even more.
- It elevates confidence and self-esteem – A smile says a lot about you and your personality. Professional teeth whitening gets rid of permanent stains. White teeth reduce any chances of embarrassment, therefore, boosting your confidence. Having teeth whitening in Easton is safe and effective.
- It is conservative – Tooth preparation is not necessary; unlike treatments such as crowns or veneers. With whitening, the tooth structure is not lost and also gives you lovely results.
- Its maintenance is easy – It only requires whitening gel and custom-made trays to refresh your pearly whites when you want. It only takes about thirty minutes to get the results you need. To get the best results to try avoiding staining drinks and food for 24 hours.
- Improves oral health care – Patients who have tried whitening their teeth have shown an improvement concerning their oral health care routine. They develop a desire to maintain the color of their teeth and therefore become more conscious in taking care of them.
Risks of Teeth Whitening
- Hypersensitivity: Some ingredients in teeth bleaching kits may be overly sensitive to patients that have tissue or tooth damage. A dental professional should only use a teeth whitener after thoroughly examine the patient’s mouth. Any health issues should be taken care of in terms of the whitening process.
- Irritation of the gums: In order to prevent the bleaching agent from getting to the teeth, bleaching products are either heat and mold tray or a one size fits all. Sometimes the ill-fitting trays can cause irritation of the gums, which may lead to tissue damage. A dental professional prefers a custom-molded tray and carefully checks for any signs of irritation during the procedure.
- Over bleaching: Products that offer quick results can result in an exaggerated state of whiteness. The whitening process is different for each patient, and it mainly depends on the patient’s oral health.
Bleaching is not recommended for pregnant women and should, therefore, be delayed until the baby is delivered. Bleaching tends to have a damaging effect on the tissue mainly to patients who smoke.
Maple Tree Dental always ensures that patients have good oral health. Our offices are located in Easton. We offer online teeth whitening through zoom. Book an appointment today and enjoy the services offered.